My annual top ten list – not necessarily the most important or biggest events of the year, but the ones I’ll remember most when I look back at 2011.
1. Losing Mark’s Dad – Obviously, the biggest thing that’s happened to our family this year and something that will forever change us.
2. My lumpectomy – In February, I found a lump in my breast. In March, I had it removed. A week later, I found out it wasn’t anything bad – just a lump. Despite ending up as nothing, it was quite a nerve-wracking time.
3. Hurricane Irene – Irene hit us pretty hard and it was our first big storm in the house. We ended up with no power for five days and several inches of water in the basement. It was more than a week before flooding subsided enough for me to be able to get to work! I’m really hoping that it was a once-in-a-lifetime storm and we don’t have to deal with that again.
4. Officially joining the church – Back in January, I signed Mark and I up as parishioners for our new church. Before buying the house we never registered because we were always all over the place. It’s awesome to officially be a part of things (and having collection envelopes with my name on it makes me feel so adult!). We’re really enjoying the parish – it’s so us.
5. New roof / plumbing the bathtub – This really was the year of water problems. When we went to paint the upstairs bedroom, we found water damage. And then, we found out the overflow drain wasn’t plumped properly. Not what we really wanted to deal with in our first year in the house – but it’s all fixed now!
6. My garden – I planned early, but slacked on documenting the progress. Some of the things did really well (I still have parsley going strong out there!) while others tanked but I loved every minute of it. I can’t wait to start working on the 2012 garden!
7. Myrtle Beach – In May, we went on vacation with my parents and siblings. It was our first family vacation in years, and it was fantastic. My Mom still talks constantly about how much she loved it. We’re hoping to do it again in not too long!
8. We started a wine kick – We took a trip down to the Cream Ridge Winery for pineapple wine, and ended up leaving with a case. Then, we made several winery stops in Niagara Falls and Seneca Lake. Wine’s new for us, but it’s fast becoming the beverage of choice around here!
9. Niagara Falls – Which I apparently never blogged! In September, Mark and I went up to Niagara Falls for a few days, and then stopped at Seneca Lake for a few more. It was beautiful. We did a lot of walking, a bunch of wine tasting and quite a bit of just bumming. (The hotel room in Canada had a whirlpool tub in front of the TV. Love!)
10. Work things – I don’t blog about work much, but this was definitely the most intense year I’ve had yet. Our team shrunk and my responsibilities grew. I also got to go to the SLA Conference with work, which gave me a different perspective on my job and my company.
What will you remember about 2011?